The UMVRDC has funds still available at low, low rates! Take advantage of these low rates as it has been reported by The Wall Street Journal that Wednesday, the Federal Reserve is expected to raise its benchmark interest rates. If the Fed hikes the rates three times as they are predicting, it will make for quite a jump in consumer financing costs.
The UMVRDC’s Revolving Loan Funds are available for new or expanding business in Big Stone, Swift, Chippewa, Yellow Medicine, and Lac qui Parle Counties. Funds can be used for working capital, fixed assets, and real estate financing.
For more information about the RLF and an application, visit this page on our website or contact Laura Ostlie at 320-289-1981, ext 102 or email@example.com
Senior Community Development Specialist
Do you have a pioneering spirit? Are you curious about small town living? Anxious to apply what you know in new ways? Interested in doing something you are passionate about and seeing that work through to completion? If so, we want YOU to join a small, creative, professional team with great comradery whose work makes a difference in rural Minnesota!
The Upper Minnesota Valley Regional Development Commission (UMVRDC) is looking for an energetic experienced community development planner who would develop and manage diverse programs and projects with cities, counties and other organizations in the five-county UMVRDC region of Big Stone, Swift, Lac qui Parle, Chippewa and Yellow Medicine Counties.
Candidates that are passionate about their work, who are curious to find options and solutions for locally identified issues, and who relish in the idea of working on a diverse portfolio of work are ideal for this position. Employees who demonstrate strong initiative and character will have opportunities for growth!
Join an office culture that has great flexibility to achieve your ideal work/life balance. Join the office wellness committee to plan monthly office health challenges. Want to work from home? Use our office technology to stay connected. Desire to share what you learn or are working on? Help plan the next lunch and learn for employees. Join the fun committee to propose the next employee team building day. Be a part of a team who is pioneering rural practices and tactics inside our office and in the work we do every day.
Preferred education includes a degree in planning, urban studies, public administration, geography, environmental studies, economics, political science or a related field.
- Occasional night meetings and regular travel is required.
- Valid Class D Minnesota Driver’s License.
- Fluency in English language sufficient to communicate effectively with internal/external stakeholders and public both verbally and in writing.
- 2 years of relevant work required, 5 preferred.
- Salary $57,000-$77,000 depending on experience.
$1,000 signing incentive! PLUS cash retention incentives.
GREAT BENEFIT PACKAGE! Benefits include employer paid health insurance (50% family) coverage, dental, significant health savings account employer contributions, pre-tax flexible spending account, tax deferred retirement savings programs, PERA, 10 paid holidays, generous paid vacation, sick, parental leave and more.
Examples of work responsibilities:
- Establish and implement annual goals, strategies for the agency and community/economic development program.
- Developing project proposals and contracts.
- Regularly report program progress to individual local units of government, regional development commission board, and other local committees as determined.
- Work with local and state government staff and other professionals in developing and implementing projects.
- Work on projects in both an individual and team environment.
- Coordinate and facilitate public meetings or leading public engagement processes.
- Conduct community strategic planning.
- Knowledge in the use of GIS technology for planning, research and analysis.
- Research, write, and implement grants.
- Promote the utilization of services at the UMVRDC through various means of community outreach (web, email, mail, personal visits, newsletters, press releases).
- Develop and implement community surveys.
- Lead projects in a variety of topic areas including:
- Comprehensive Planning
- Ordinance Development
- Recreation Development
- Hazard Mitigation
- Economic Development
- Serve as a resource for a variety of programs, resources, or techniques such as:
- Business retention and expansion
- Community finance methods
- MN DEED grant programs
- USDA Rural Development grant programs
- MN DNR grant programs
The UMVRDC is an equal opportunity employer.
View Job Description
Send application and cover letter to:
UMVRDC Executive Director
323 West Schlieman Avenue, Appleton MN 56208