Our office will be closed on Monday, May 30th in observance of Memorial Day. Business hours will resume at 8am on Tuesday morning.
The monthly board meeting is scheduled for Tuesday, May 24th at 6:30 in the Appleton Civic Center. This meeting is open to the public.
The Upper Minnesota Valley Regional Development Commission (UMVRDC) is looking for an entry level community development planner to develop and manage projects with cities, counties and other organizations in the five-county UMVRDC region of Big Stone, Swift, Lac qui Parle, Chippewa and Yellow Medicine Counties. This position works on broad and diverse projects that have a regional scope and includes projects requiring a high level of detail.
Work areas include initiating, developing and managing projects for local governments in the following areas:
- Community strategic planning
- Capital improvement planning
- Environmental reviews
- Comprehensive planning and plan updates
- Zoning ordinance development
- Telecommunication/broadband planning
- MN DEED Small Cities Development Program grant writing and administration
- Hazard mitigation planning
- Renewable energy project development and grant writing
- GIS and mapping support
- Park and recreation planning
Primary responsibilities (50-75%) will be regional transportation planning and will include the following areas:
- Assist MnDOT with statewide transportation projects and plans.
- Participate in the development of the Area Transportation Improvement Program for MnDOT Districts 4 & 8.
- Complete transportation planning projects or studies for the region that promote a seamless transportation network.
- Review and process functional classification change requests in coordination with the local road authority and the MnDOT District State Aid Engineer.
- Communicate with MnDOT; RDC staff, boards and committees; local officials and staff; and the general public on a board range of transportation related issues.
- Meet and coordinate with MnDOT and peer transportation planners to enhance planning and provide regional input for state projects and projects considered for federal funding.
- Provide professional assistance to local units of government on local and regional transportation issues.
- Work with communities and schools developing and implementing Safe Routes to School Plans.
- Promote and develop active transportation strategies for cities, counties, and schools.
Background & Experience
Related 4-year degree in community development, transportation planning, geography, urban studies/design, public administration, environmental studies, economics or a related field or at least six years’ experience in the previous fields or a combination of both required.
Night meetings and overnight travel is necessary.
Must have valid driver’s license.
All finalists considered will be subject to a criminal background check.
Salary & Benefits
Starting salary $41,600.
Benefits include full single health insurance high deductible plan ($3,200 single/$6,400 family maximum), 50% family coverage, full single dental, agency contributions to HSA account ($1,600 in 2016), life, flexible benefits plan, deferred compensation plan, PERA.
The position is available starting immediately.
This position will remain open until filled.
Please review the Community Development Planner Position Profile for an overview of the position and instructions on how to apply.
Send application, copies of college transcripts, and cover letter highlighting three things you can bring to the UMVRDC Community Development Team to:
323 West Schlieman Avenue
Appleton, MN 56208
320-289-1981 x101 email@example.com
Attend a stakeholder forum to give input on the draft transportation policy and highway investment direction for the future of Minnesota.
Willmar Stakeholder Forum… Wednesday, May 4th, 2016 9:00 am to 12:00 pm MnDOT District 8 Headquarters – Green Lake Conference Center 2505 Transportation Road, Willmar, MN 56201
Can’t make it that day? There are several other meetings in other locations around the State and a webinar scheduled on May 12 from10:00 AM — 12:00 PM
RSVP for any of the meetings or webinar at http://www.minnesotago.org/give-us-your-i…/stakeholder-forum
MnDOT has created a short video about what will be covered at the meeting. Check it out at https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ci2WaP6ayTA