CEDS: Comprehensive Economic Development Strategy
The latest news from the CEDS Committee:
- A DRAFT of the CEDS plan is available! This draft is available for review from May 15 – June 16, 2013. Click here to view the DRAFT 2013 UMVRDC CEDS
- Reminder: The next meeting of the CEDS Strategy Committee is on Tuesday, June 4, 2013, at the Appleton Civic Center.
- Notes from the CEDS kickoff meeting are available to view or download here: Reflections from the CEDS Kickoff Meeting
What is CEDS?
A comprehensive economic development strategy (CEDS) is designed to:
- Bring together the public and private sectors
- Create an economic roadmap to diversify and strengthen regional economies
- Analyze the regional economy
- Serve as a guide for establishing regional goals and objectives
- Develop a regional plan for implementation and action
- Identify investment priorities and funding sources.
A CEDS document is required by the U.S. Department of Commerce Economic Development Administration (EDA) in order to maintain Economic Development District (EDD) status which the UMVRDC holds for the five counties in Region 6W. This EDD status allows the UMVRDC to work with local units of government to apply for funding through EDA for public works and planning projects.
Keep an eye out for the following opportunities to provide community input and ensure your community’s projects are on EDA’s project list! (If community projects are not included in the plan they will not be funded through EDA.)
- County Meetings – encourage local residents, business and community leaders to get involved and attend one of these sessions to help format the new vision for the CEDS update
- ED Pro’s Meetings – These are offered several times a year, with agenda’s that focus on timely topics for city staff, county staff and economic development professionals throughout the region, the CEDS Update will be a natural fit on the agenda and will look for critical feedback from attending professionals.
- Website Updates – for all the latest demographic analysis stay tuned to www.umvrdc.org.
Have questions about CEDS? Contact Jacki Anderson, UMVRDC Senior Planner, for more information at firstname.lastname@example.org or call 320-289-1981 ext. 2.