Hazard Mitigation Planning
Hazard Mitigation Planning can break the cycle of disaster-repair-disaster in a community and prepare it for a more sustainable future. Developing and putting into place long-term strategies that reduce or alleviate loss of life, injuries and property resulting from natural or human caused hazards accomplish this goal. These long-term strategies must incorporate a range of community resources including planning, policies, programs and other activities that can make a community more resistant to disaster. Mitigation planning efforts should both protect people, structures, while minimizing costs of disaster response and recovery. Mitigation is the cornerstone for emergency management and should be viewed as a method for decreasing demand on scarce and valuable disaster response resources.
The UMVRDC is considered an expert in Hazard Mitigation Planning, through multiple contracts with Big Stone, Chippewa, Lac qui Parle, Swift, Yellow Medicine Counties and the Upper Sioux Community. The Minnesota Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management collaborate with the Federal Emergency Management Agency to ensure that each county and/jurisdiction have active Hazard Mitigation Plans. FEMA requires that all Hazard Mitigation Plans be updated within a 5-year period.
View Recently Completed Hazard Mitigation Plans for our Region:
- Proposed Amendment to Swift County All Hazard Mitigation Plan – DRAFT – 2013
- Swift County All-Hazard Mitigation Plan – 2012 (Note: Plan is in 4 parts due to file size.)
- Lac qui Parle County All-Hazard Mitigation Plan - 2011 (Note: Plan is in 4 parts due to file size.)
- Yellow Medicine County All-Hazard Mitigation Plan – 2010 (Note: Plan is in 4 parts due to file size.)
- Chippewa County All-Hazard Mitigation Plan – 2010 (Note: Plan is in 3 parts due to file size.)
- Big Stone County All-Hazard Mitigation Plan – 2010 (Note: Plan is in 4 parts due to file size.)
Funding Opportunities for Mitigation Projects:
- Minnesota Department of Homeland Security and Emergency Management Grants
- Hazard Mitigation Grant Program (HMGP)
- Flood Mitigation Assistance (FMA)
- Pre-Disaster Mitigation (PDM)
- Repetitive Flood Claims (RFC)
- Severe Repetitive Loss (SRL)
- Minnesota DNR Grants:
- Flood Hazard Mitigation Grant Assistance
- Stream Bank Maintenance Grant
For more information on Hazard Mitigation Planning, contact Kristi Fernholz at 320-289-1981.