The Upper Minnesota Valley Regional Development Commission (UMVRDC) is looking for an outgoing, detailed oriented, experienced planner that can work as part of a team to manage of a variety of community and economic development projects. Candidates that are passionate about their work, curious to find solutions for locally identified issues, and who thrive working on a diverse portfolio of work are ideal for this position. Employees who demonstrate strong initiative and self-motivation, increasing levels of responsibility, and excellent personal relation skills in prior positions are ideal.
Primary responsibilities will be in community and economic development planning and will include working in the following areas:
- Federal, state and local agency collaboration
- Redevelopment of vacant and underutilized property
- Business Retention & Expansion
- Community needs analysis
- Grant writing
- Comprehensive plans
- Capital improvement plans
- Hazard mitigation plans
- Economic resiliency
- GIS mapping
This position will also be responsible for developing professional relationships with local elected officials, staff from cities and counties and other partners from local, regional, state and federal organizations and agencies.
This position is are also required to develop and secure contracts that support their salary and the work of the agency.
Salary, Benefits, Minimum Qualifications
Join an office culture that has great flexibility to achieve your ideal work/life balance. Be a part of a team who is pioneering rural practices and tactics inside our office and in the work we do every day.
- Related 4-year degree in community development, urban and regional planning, urban studies/design, or a related field and 5 years’ experience in the previous fields OR a minimum of 11 years of relevant experience working in the community development/planning field.
- Must be able to travel regularly and work within the UMVRDC region
- Experience with community development planning principals and processes
- Experience with leading community engagement processes
- Experience working with comprehensive plans
- Experience working with city, county, state, federal governments
- Strong oral and written communication experience
- Project management experience
- Experience providing customer service
- Must have the ability to operate a motor vehicle and possess and maintain a Minnesota driver’s license.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently.
- Strong competency with technology and web-based software
- Experience in GIS
- Grant writing experience
Salary depending on relevant experience.
$1,000 signing incentive!
GREAT BENEFITS! Benefits include employer paid health insurance and family coverage cost sharing, dental, significant health savings account employer contributions, pre-tax flexible spending account, tax deferred retirement savings programs, life insurance, PERA, retirement investment incentive, education savings plan incentive, paid holidays, generous paid vacation, sick, parental leave and more.
All finalists considered will be subject to a criminal background check.
How to Apply (click links below)
The UMVRDC utilizes a three-part candidate screening process:
- Candidates submit application and cover letter showcasing how their education and/or experience meets the minimum qualifications for this position. This information should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Up to 10 candidates will be asked to complete a follow up questionnaire about their expertise in a list of topics
- Up to 5 candidates will be interviewed.
This position will remain open until filled. The UMVRDC is an equal opportunity employer.