The Upper Minnesota Valley Regional Development Commission (UMVRDC) is a five county development agency providing services to local units of government. Its membership is comprised of representatives of townships, cities, counties, school boards, and public interest groups. Geographically, the RDC represents the counties of Big Stone, Chippewa, Lac qui Parle, Swift and Yellow Medicine. We are designated as Region 6W.
- receive public and private funds for purposes including, but not limited to, program administration, multicounty planning, coordination, and development.
- prepare and submit for adoption, comprehensive plans for local units of government.
- to encourage local and subdistrict planning capability.
- review and provide comments and recommendations on local plans or development proposals which have a substantial effect on regional development.
- provide basic administrative, research, and planning services for all regional planning and development bodies. The commissions may contract to obtain or perform services with state agencies, for-profit or nonprofit entities, sub-districts organized as the result of federal or state programs, councils of governments organized under section 471.59, or any other law, and with local governments.
- be designated as a regional data center providing data collection, storage, analysis, and dissemination to be used by it and other governmental and private users, and may accept gifts or grants to provide this service.
- study the feasibility of programs including, but not limited to, water, land use, economic development, housing, demographics, cultural issues, governmental issues, human services, natural resources, communication, technology, transportation, and other subjects of concern to the citizens of the region.
- contract with local units of government to provide them with services and technical assistance in the conduct of local planning and development activities.
- be regarded as general purpose units of government to receive funds and operate programs on a regional or sub-regional basis to provide economies of scale or to enhance program efficiency.
Other Regional Development Commissions
- Minnesota Regional Development Organization (MRDO)
- National Association of Development Organizations (NADO)
- Region 1 – Northwest Regional Development Commission
- Region 2 – Headwaters Regional Development Commission
- Region 3 – Arrowhead Regional Development Commission
- Region 4 – West Central Initiative Fund
- Region 5 – Region 5 Regional Development Commission