SRTS Regional Workshop: Developing and Implementing a Comprehensive Plan
Please join us at the Safe Routes to School Workshop. In collaboration with MnDOT and Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Minnesota, Austin Vision 2020 will host a SRTS workshop that will turn Holton Intermediate School into a learning laboratory. This hands-on SRTS workshop will be facilitated by national expert Mark Fenton. Representatives from other communities and their SRTS teams will be invited to observe and learn from this workshop. Participants in these trainings will:
- Develop expertise in SRTS planning and assessment from a community that has just been through the planning process
- Identify specific implementation strategies for their SRTS initiatives
- Learn stakeholder engagement strategies to sustain their SRTS initiatives
- Acquire basic skills to facilitate their walk/bike audit and assess their SRTS data to identify opportunities
- Position their community to build a sustainable SRTS initiative.
Audience for the training includes:
- School Principal or other school representatives
- City public works
- City or regional planners
- SRTS “Champions”
- Parent leaders
- Other SRTS implementers (who have been involved thus far).
Participants will develop the skills and capacity to develop and implement their SRTS plan by better understanding their role.. Attendees will identify which nationally and locally-available resources can assist them in achieving their goals including the peer professionals and advocates working on SRTS. And have fun while doing it!
Wednesday, April 30, 2014; 7:45 – 3:00PM – SRTS Regional Workshop Austin
7:45 Observation of student arrival for all attendees (Confirm student arrival time)
- Holton Intermediate School, 1800 4th Avenue SE, Austin, Minnesota
- This is strongly encouraged but an optional portion of the day.
- Provides opportunity for experiential learning.
8:30 Official Welcome and SRTS Overview
Holton Intermediate School
Coffee and continental breakfast will be available
Welcome and Introductions
- SRTS Overview, Vision for SRTS in Minnesota and Mark Fenton Presentation
Walking Audit/Hands on learning
Inspiration to Ideas to Implementation
- Explore examples form across the country that can be adapted for Mankato
Group Planning Work
Implement SRTS across the Community
- Reporting back – 2 big ideas
- Recap and Final Tips
Please Register by Friday, April 18
Local Contact: Laura Helle
Austin Vision 2020
There will be a break for lunch, specific time to be determined.