Experienced Community Development Specialist
The Upper Minnesota Valley Regional Development Commission (UMVRDC) is looking to add an outgoing, detailed oriented professional to our team. This person will work on of a variety of community and economic development projects. Candidates that are passionate about their work, curious to find solutions for locally identified issues, and who thrive working on a diverse portfolio of work are ideal for this position. Employees who demonstrate strong initiative and self-motivation, increasing levels of responsibility, and excellent personal relation skills in prior positions are ideal.
Join an office culture that has great flexibility to achieve your ideal work/life balance. Be a part of a team who is pioneering rural practices and tactics inside our office and in the work we do every day.
Want to learn more about housing, things to do, other jobs, schools, healthcare, childcare, or cost of living in our area? Check out our Western Minnesota Prairie Waters website.
Areas of Responsibility
Primary responsibilities will be in community development planning and will include working on a wide range of topics. See expertise checklist for examples.
This position will also be responsible for developing professional relationships with local elected officials, staff from cities and counties and other partners from local, regional, state and federal organizations and agencies.
This position will also have the responsibility to develop and secure contracts that support their salary and the work of the agency. These contracts involve developing a variety of projects from the expertise checklist that address regional needs and issues.
- Related 4-year degree in community development, urban and regional planning, urban studies/design, or a related field and 5 years’ experience in the previous fields preferred OR an unrelated degree and a minimum of 11 years of relevant experience working in the community development/planning field.
- Experience in multiple areas and topics on the expertise checklist
- Must be able to travel regularly and work within the UMVRDC region
- Must have the ability to operate a motor vehicle and possess and maintain a Minnesota driver’s license.
- Must be able to read, write, and speak English fluently.
- Strong competency with technology and web-based software.
- AICP certification
- Experience in GIS
- Grant writing experience
Pay & Benefits
Salary $52-67,000 depending on relevant experience and $1,000 signing incentive!
Benefits include employer paid health insurance and family coverage cost sharing, dental, significant health savings account employer contributions, pre-tax flexible spending account, tax deferred retirement savings programs, life insurance, PERA, retirement investment incentive, education savings plan incentive, paid holidays, generous paid vacation, sick, parental leave and more.
All finalists considered will be subject to a criminal background check.
How to Apply
- Review the Expertise Checklist
- Review the Job Description
- Review the Agency Profile
- UMVRDC’s Strategic Directions
The UMVRDC utilizes a three-part candidate screening process:
- Candidates submit a resume and cover letter showcasing their education and/or experience with topics on the expertise checklist( Link). This information should be sent to email@example.com .
- Qualifying candidates will be asked to complete an application.
- Up to 5 candidates will be interviewed.
This position will remain open until Aug 31, 2021.
The UMVRDC is an equal opportunity employer.