It’s not typically in the nature of folks around here to brag about things. But sometimes we need to step outside our comfort zone and speak the truth. And the truth is: Western Minnesota is a great place to live, work and play!
Looking for resources to help you show off what’s brag-worthy in Western Minnesota? We can help!
Western Minnesota Prairie Waters is a regional tourism organization which promotes and markets the region by highlighting and showcasing our natural, cultural, scenic and historical assets. Tourism has a direct economic development and community development impact to the region by improving the quality of life for its residents. Efforts are done on a regional basis making it more affordable to our rural communities.
- Prairie Waters Regional Visitors Guide: Our NEW Visitors Guide was printed in July and has been flying off the brochure racks! You can view it here, or fill out this contact form and we’ll send you one in the mail!
- Prairie Waters Website: Stop in, take a look around! We maintain an events calendar and database of things to do, places to stay, eat and shop; and more! Have something to add? We’d love to include your events and businesses. Contact Jenifer Fadness with your info at firstname.lastname@example.org.
- Facebook: This is one of Prairie Waters’ favorite places to show off! We’d love to share your photos and event information on our page. Find and LIKE our page here.
The Minnesota River Valley National Scenic Byway Alliance (MRVSBA) is a group of committed individuals from the 287-mile Byway Corridor representing a variety of interests including Chambers of Commerce, various attractions and historic sites, State Parks, local and state governmental bodies, private businesses, and concerned individuals. “The purpose of the Alliance is to encourage economic development through the promotion, preservation and protection of the intrinsic qualities of the Minnesota River Valley.”
The Minnesota River Valley National Scenic Byway goes right through our region, and some of the byway’s most exciting assets are right in our own backyard!
- Visitors Guide: A NEW Visitors Guide was just printed! It contains maps and information about some of the byway’s “Discovery Sites.” View the NEW Byway Visitors Guide here, or visit our website and request one.
- Website: Explore the themes of the byway, and find links to the “Discovery Sites.” Search the river of stories and share your own right here!
- Facebook: There’s always something going on along the byway, and Facebook is a great place to find out the latest! Visit and LIKE us right here.
- Motorcycle Guide: Explore Minnesota Tourism recently introduced an addition to their website: Byways By Motorcyle, including maps, route reviews, photos and more.
The award-winning Meander Upper Minnesota River Art Crawl is a free self-guided tour of artist studios featuring 45 local artists from the Upper Minnesota River Valley. The Meander has become a tradition for both locals and visitors to experience the “hidden gem” art studios, small towns and family farms to be found along the tributaries of the Minnesota River. The Meander has become an economic engine for this rural part of the state, generating thousands of dollars in art sales and economic activity over the past decade for area hotels, restaurants and retail locations – all based on the authentic culture of the rural region.
- Website: Want more information on this annual event? Visit the Meander website or call 1-866-866-5432.
- The Meander Facebook page is packed with photos of work by Meander artists. Find and LIKE the Meander Facebook page to get a glimpse of what Meander is about.
- 2013 is the tenth year of Meander! Experience it for yourself Friday through Sunday, October 4, 5 & 6, 2013.
Local Chambers and Tourism Organizations
- Many of our communities have a local Chamber of Commerce, a Convention and Visitors Bureau (CVB) or a tourism organization of some sort. They are a great source of information for both locals and visitors. Contact yours and see what they have to offer! Not sure who to contact? Call Prairie Waters at 866-866-5432 and we’ll put you in touch with the right person.
Department of Employment and Economic Development (DEED) Southwest Minnesota Fact Sheet
- This fact sheet, compiled by DEED’s Positively Minnesota, includes demographic information on Southwest Minnesota, which includes our five counties. You can view the fact sheet by clicking here.